Mariusz Ksiazkiewicz takes on Mario Sousa at middleweight
- Last week, four contracts were handed out on Dana White’s Contender Series, how many will be handed out this week?
- The event goes down on Tuesday, November 10, 2020
- See the odds and betting preview for Week 9, below
Dana White’s Contender Series has been must-watch TV for MMA fans who have had the chance to see future UFC stars earn their way into the promotion. The show has produced the likes of Geoff Neal, Sean O’Malley, and Grant Dawson, among others.
In the main event of Week 9, Mariusz Książkiewicz takes on Mario Sousa at middleweight. The card airs live on ESPN+ and TSN at 8:00 PM ET on Tuesday, November 10, 2020.
Dana White’s Contender Series Week 9 Odds
All odds as of Nov. 9.
Can Ksiazkiewicz Become The Latest Canadian In The UFC?
Mariusz Książkiewicz (8-0) has not been active as some would like, but when he fights, he dominates his opponents. He hasn’t fought since November 2019 when he scored a first-round submission over a very solid Guilherme Miranda (18-8). However, he only competed once in 2018, twice in 2016, twice in 2013, once in 2012, and once in 2011. So ring rust is a real question entering this one for Książkiewicz.
The Canadian has finished seven of his eight wins.
Mario Sousa (11-1) will be fighting for the first time in 2020 and has been bouncing back and forth between welterweight and middleweight. In his career, the Brazilian’s most notable win was over Luis Felipe Dias, whom he submitted in the second round.
Sousa has finished all 11 of his professional wins.
Książkiewicz vs Sousa Key Stats
This is a very intriguing matchup and one that is very hard to call. Ksiazkiewicz is well-rounded but not being active is concerning. For Sousa, what is concerning is his level of competition as his last four opponents’ records were 1-1, 7-2, 4-3, and 0-0.
Early on, I expect Sousa to be the more aggressive fighter and use his jab to hurt Ksiazkiewicz. However, as the fight goes on, I do think the Canadian has the cardio advantage. If the fight hits the second or third round, Sousa’s gas tank could be a problem.
Ultimately, I don’t think Książkiewicz will be able to take Sousa down, and if he does, the Brazilian can create scrambles and possibly get a submission. However, I think Sousa will get back to his feet and continue to pick apart the Canadian on the feet to earn a decision. This is a super close fight, and to me, this should be lined as a pick ’em.
Pick: Mario Sousa (-130)
2024 US Presidential Election Odds Tracker
Other DWCS Week 9 Picks:
- Natan Levy (-115): Levy is taking this fight on short notice but I think Levy can keep this fight standing and pick apart Santana to win a decision.
- Joseph Lowry (+140): Someone is getting knocked out in this fight. Both Lowry and Motta have insane power and we have seen them both be knocked out before. I think Lowry will be able to land first and at plus money, it is a solid bet.
- Luana Pinheiro (-300): Pinheiro is better everywhere and should be able to get Frausto down to the ground and pick up a first-round submission.
- Danny Sabatello (-515): This is a total mismatch and I’m not sure why Moore is even on the Contender Series. I like Sabatello to win this fight. early by TKO.
Cole graduated from Sheridan College in April of 2019 with a diploma in journalism. He now is a full-time freelance writer, focusing on MMA for sites like BJPENN and MMA News, while also covering the Toronto Blue Jays as a credentialed media member. At SBD, Cole covers the four major sports and MMA.