Jono Carroll and Maxi Hughes will main event MTK Global’s comeback event after the COVID-19 hiatus. The boxing card goes Wednesday, August 12th.
- Jono Carroll vs Maxi Hughes goes Wednesday, August 12th, at 12 PM ET
- Can Carroll continue his momentum or will Hughes shock the UK boxing scene?
- Check out the fight odds and predictions, below
Jono Carroll and Maxi Hughes are ready to go to war at Production Park Studios in South Kirkby, Yorkshire. This is a UK card with the North American broadcast going via ESPN+.
Things continue to pick up on the UK boxing scene with many organizations emerging from their dormancy. MTK Global is making its promotional return here after the COVID-19 hiatus. These 130-pound contenders will lock horns in a mid-week throwdown but only one scrapper can emerge with the victory.
Carroll vs Hughes Main Card Odds
Odds taken August 11th.
Maxi Hughes’ Path to the MTK Global Main Event
Hughes has captured the Central Area super featherweight title in past efforts. Consistency is a big issue though, as he has struggled to string together more than two or three wins in his career. Hughes is 3-2 across his last five prizefights heading into Wednesday.
As a sizable underdog heading in this one, it’s clear how beneficial a win over Carroll would be for Hughes’ longterm career advancement.
WEIGHED IN ⚖️@jono_carroll: 9st 11lbs 12oz@BOXERMAXIHUGHES: 9st 9lbs 5oz
FREE LIVE STREAM ➡️ https://t.co/eHqBklEDlP#MTKFightNight
📍 @ProdParkStudios, Wakefield
📺 @ESPN+ / @IFLTV#TeamMTKGlobal pic.twitter.com/7rd6yoILGZ
— MTK Global 🌍 (@MTKGlobal) August 11, 2020
Jono Carroll’s Path Back to a Title Shot
Jono Carroll began his 2020 campaign with what many are calling his most comprehensive performance as a pro. He stopped former world champion Scott Quigg in the eleventh round of their March bout. The former world title challenger is looking to make these exemplary performances the norm en route to another crack at championship glory.
Though many pundits are counting out Hughes, Carroll is laser-focused and is not looking down on his opponent in any way.
When you try and stir some s*** between @jono_carroll & Maxi Hughes…. and it backfires 😂.
Full E-Presser: https://t.co/bq4jT5nyVs pic.twitter.com/K3YeujmM26
— Andrew McCart iFLTV (@Andy_IFLTV) August 10, 2020
Carroll is a southpaw pressure fighter and, normally, his stance would provide him with a lot of unique tactical options. This won’t necessarily be the case as this is a rare bout between two southpaw pugilists. Both will be leading with their right hand but who will ultimately lead the dance and establish ring generalship on fight night?
Carroll vs Hughes Tale of the Tape
|Scott Quigg, Declan Geraghty, Humberto de Santiago||Significant Wins||Kieron McLaren, Cassius Connor, Ryan Moorhead|
Though Carroll got the stoppage in his last outing, he by no means is a KO artist. His 22-percent knockout rate leads me to believe that Wednesday’s fight will be determined by the judges. I see Carroll winning via lopsided unanimous decision.
Pick: Jono Carroll (-2250)
Other Main Card Picks for Carroll vs Hughes
- Pierce O’Leary vs Jacob Quinn: I think Quinn will be able to take advantage of the fact that he’s a relatively short notice replacement for O’Leary. This fight presents decent underdog value with both men sitting at 4-0. I see Quinn winning via points. Pick: Jacob Quinn (+425)
- Sean McComb vs Siar Ozgul: McComb is unbeaten as a pro and Ozgul is riding back to back defeats heading into this one. I see McComb getting things done here via decision. Pick: Sean McComb (-1800)
- Craig MacIntyre vs Ishmael Ellis: Neither man is any kind of world-beater but MacIntyre has the momentum with his spotless pro record while conversely, Ellis 2-2 across his last four fights. Craig MacIntyre doesn’t exactly have proven finishing ability though (four stoppages across eleven victories). So I would go with MacIntyre via decision. Pick: Craig MacIntyre (-600)
A part-time writer and full-time broadcaster, Dylan has hosted MMA talk shows Lights Out and Pure Fight Radio with featured guests like Jens Pulver, Roy Nelson, Miesha Tate, and covered some of the biggest MMA promotions like Rumble in the Cage, Unified MMA, and King of the Cage.