- Nick Browne and Arthur Estrazulas were scheduled to headline LFA 97
- Who wins the vacant lightweight title?
- See the odds, picks, and betting preview for the LFA 97 main card
Legacy Fighting Alliance is back in Park City, Kansas on Friday, January 15, 2021, for LFA 97, which is LFA’s first event of 2021.
In the main event, Nick Browne takes on Arthur Estrazulas for the vacant lightweight title. The co-main event sees Dana White’s Contender Series Alum, Jacob Rosales battle Jose Martinez at lightweight.
LFA 97 main card airs live on UFC Fight Pass at 9 PM EST. The table below shows odds for the main card followed by best bets.
LFA 97 Main Card Odds
All odds as of Jan. 13
Who Becomes The Lightweight Champ?
After Bryce Logan vacated the lightweight title after signing with Bellator, it was clear Nick Browne and Arthur Estrazulas should fight for the vacant title. They were supposed to meet in the main event of LFA 95 on November 20, but the fight was scrapped due to a positive COVID-19 test.
Browne & Estrazulas Recent Fights
|Ben Egli, win by decision||Fight 1||Dominic Clark, win by submission|
|Trey Ogden, win by submission||Fight 2||Steve Kozola, win by submission|
|Jeffrey Pelton, win by submission||Fight 3||Thiago Tavares, loss by split decision|
|John Gunther, loss by decision||Fight 4||Mike Segura, win by submission|
Both Nick Browne and Arthur Estrazulas could both be in the UFC or Bellator by now, but it is likely the winner will get a contract by either promotion. Browne holds wins over Troy Lamson, who was a win away from getting to the UFC, and current Bellator lightweight and former participant on the Contender Series, Sidney Outlaw. Estrazulas, meanwhile, has fought in promotions like PFL and Bellator and had a close fight in RFA against current UFC fighter Christos Giagos.
Browne vs Estrazulas Stats
Both Browne and Estrazulas are known as grapplers and when two grapplers fight, it normally ends up being a kickboxing fight. I expect the first minute or two to be a feeling-out process of sorts as they try to figure out their range. Eventually, I believe Estrazulas will realize he needs to get the fight to the ground, but Browne will stuff the takedowns and keep it standing.
On the feet, I expect Browne to piece up Estrazulas for the first two to three rounds. In the third or fourth, after being rocked, Estrazulas will shoot for a bad takedown and Browne to get on top and finish him off via ground and pound to earn a TKO win to become the LFA lightweight champion.
What is frustrating though, is when this fight was supposed to happen, Browne was +100, yet after all the action that came on him, he is now a -150 favorite, which I still believe is a good line.
Pick: Nick Browne (-150)
Other LFA 97 Picks:
- Jacob Rosales (-150): Rosales just lost to Bryce Logan for the lightweight title. His grappling will be the difference as I like him to submit Martinez, and -145 is a very good line.
- Loveth Young (-260): I do like Young to win this fight by using her grappling and earn a decision. However, you don’t need to bet on every fight, and -260 is too high for my liking.
- Michael Stack (-580): Stack will likely be in the UFC in the next few years, and I expect him to either submit or ground and pound Mapa out in the first.
- Kamuela Kirk (-275): Although Kirk is on a two-fight losing skid, he had fought tough competition and Santos is a step-down. from that. A parlay of Kirk, and Stack is a solid bet.
Cole graduated from Sheridan College in April of 2019 with a diploma in journalism. He now is a full-time freelance writer, focusing on MMA for sites like BJPENN and MMA News, while also covering the Toronto Blue Jays as a credentialed media member. At SBD, Cole covers the four major sports and MMA.