Utah Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell won’t be in the starting lineup, but will return for the Utah Jazz as they open the NBA playoffs Sunday against the Memphis Grizzlies. Mitchell (ankle) missed the past 16 games. (Photo by Ringo Chiu/Zuma Press/Icon Sportswire)
- Four more NBA first-round playoff series get underway Sunday, May 23rd
- Sunday’s slate of games sees the defending champion Los Angeles Laker travel to Phoenix to play the Suns, while in the East, the top-seeded Philadelphia 76ers play host to the Washington Wizards
- Read below for projected lineups and the latest injury news for the NBA schedule on May 23rd
The Philadelphia 76ers (Eastern Conference) and Utah Jazz (Western Conference) begin their quest for the NBA title on Sunday and both do so after receiving good news on the injury front.
The Jazz indicated that all-star guard Donovan Mitchell would be in the lineup for Game 1 against the Memphis Grizzlies. Mitchell (ankle) missed the last 16 games of the regular season. He won’t be in the starting lineup, though and his minutes will be managed.
Meanwhile, the Sixers anticipate that all hands will be on deck for Game 1 against the Washington Wizards. That includes shooting guard and defensive presence Markisse Thybulle (hand), who missed the final three regular-season games.
NBA Injury News – May 23rd
- [9am EST]: Though ne’s not listed in the starting lineup, Utah Jazz PG Donovan Mitchell (ankle) practiced in full with the Jazz on Thursday and was cleared to play, according to Sarah Todd of the Deseret News. It was his first full practice since spraining his right ankle on April 16th and missing the final 16 regular-season games
- [9am EST]: 76ers Coach Doc Rivers indicated that everyone, including shooting guard Markisse Thybulle (hand), is available Sunday, Ky Carlin of USA Today reports
- [9am EST]: Though both are listed as day-to-day, both SF LeBron James (ankle) and PF Anthony Davis (right shoulder sprain) will be in the starting lineup against the Phoenix Suns on Sunday. C Andre Drummond, who left the play-in game against Golden State after turning an ankle, is not listed on the injury report
- [9am EST]: Wizards SF Deni Avdija (ankle) is expected to make a full recovery in 12 weeks after he suffered a right fibular hairline fracture, Fred Katz of The Athletic reports
May 23rd NBA Projected Starting Lineups
Lakers vs Suns Projected Lineups
|LeBron James||PG||Chris Paul|
|Dennis Schroder||SG||Devin Booker|
|Kentavious Caldwell-Pope||SF||Jae Crowder|
|Anthony Davis||PF||Mikal Bridges|
|Andre Drummond||C||DeAndre Ayton|
Although both small forward LeBron James (ankle) and power forward Anthony Davis (sprained right shoulder) are listed as probable, count on both playing in this game.
Suns small forward Abdel Nader underwent a right knee arthroscopy on Monday and remains out indefinitely.
Wizards vs 76ers Projected Lineups
|Russell Westbrook||PG||Ben Simmons|
|Raul Neto||SG||Seth Curry|
|Bradley Beal||SF||Tobias Harris|
|Rui Hachimura||PF||Danny Green|
|Alex Len||C||Joel Embiid|
Wizards guard Caleb Homesley (health and safety protocols) is listed as day-to-day. Small forward Deni Avdija (right fibular hairline fracture) is expected to make a full recovery in 12 weeks. Center Thomas Bryant (torn ACL) is out for the season.
Though 76ers shooting guard and defensive ace Matisse Thybulle (hand) is listed as out, Philadelphia coach Doc Rivers indicated he anticipated that everyone would be available for this game.
DraftKings Promo for NBA Playoffs Gives Bettors Crazy 40-1 Odds on Any Team to Win
Hawks vs Knicks Projected Lineups
|Trae Young||PG||Elfrid Payton|
|Kevin Huerter||SG||RJ Barrett|
|Bogdan Bogdanovic||SF||Reggie Bullock|
|John Collins||PF||Julius Randle|
|Clint Capela||C||Nerlens Noel|
Hawks small forward Cam Reddish is out. He’s been cleared to start unrestricted individual workouts and limited participation in team practices according to a report on the team’s website. Point guard Brandon Goodwin is out. He’ll miss will miss the remainder of the season due to a minor respiratory condition.
Knicks guard Lucas Vidoza (health and safety protocols) is listed as day-to-day. He joined the team on Friday as they began preparations for this series. Center Mitchell Robinson (foot) is out. He’s returned to on-court work and hasn’t been ruled out as a playoff participant.
Grizzlies vs Jazz Projected Lineups
|Ja Morant||PG||Mike Conley|
|Dillon Brooks||SG||Joe Ingles|
|Kyle Anderson||SF||Royce O’Neale|
|Jaren Jackson Jr.||PF||Bojan Bogdanovic|
|Jonas Valanciunas||C||Rudy Gobert|
Grizzlies shooting guard Sean McDermott (foot) has been ruled out for Sunday’s game.
Jazz power forward Ersian Ilyasova is questionable for Sunday due to a non-COVID-19 illness.
An industry veteran, Bob literally taught the course on the history of sports at Elder College. He has worked as a Sports Columnist for Postmedia, appeared as a guest on several radio stations, was the Vice President of the Society For International Hockey Research in Ontario, and written 25 books.